Friday, July 6, 2012

Final Days in the Czech Republic

I am going to use this last post for our final days in Europe as well as to add some miscellaneous bits that can't be forgotten.

Now that this wonderful experience is behind me, I can look back and say that it was the best three months of my life.  I can't begin to explain how blessed I feel to have had the opportunity to travel with such a great group, seeing and doing things I never thought I'd have the chance to do and getting to know people I wouldn't have otherwise met.  Everyday was a new adventure and it was always fun, no matter what we ended up doing.  One day I saw a sign that read "When is the last time you did something for the first time?"  If I had read that sign in America I would've had to think about the answer.  In Europe the answer was always "about 30 seconds ago."  The new experiences were endless. The places I visited were unreal. The people I met were incredible. It is no wonder that returning to America was such a great challenge.  I don't think I've ever missed anything as badly as I miss Europe; but, for now, the memories will have to do. One thing is for sure: Nechala jsem 
sve srce v Olomoci! (I left my heart in Olomouc)


Our group at the Omaha airport getting ready to embark on the adventure of a lifetime. It's hard to believe we were ever strangers.

Beautiful beautiful Olomouc.
My two favorite flatmates Göke and Gonzalo.  Also the first two Europeans I met.

Our fearless leaders Dr. Clark, Jan, and Martin. (I must give Tara credit for this priceless picture).

Last night at Belmondo.

Courtney teaching the guys their N'Sync dance for American night.

My Hermana Mayor! I don't know how it started but Viri became the big sis I never had. She is so funny!

Because we lived on the outskirts of the city, this is the path I got to jog on.

Our room tended to get a little messy, especially when we returned from our trips.

Gonzalo made this delicious thing called a Spanish Omelet. To give an idea of how much grease goes into it, I went sliding across the kitchen floor after he made one.

McDonalds is even popular in Europe. Theirs are nicer than ours. And their fruit parfaits are to die for!

Our wonderful Czech teacher Katka. I LOVED this class!

Lisa and I were the front row students this semester. Always studious compared to those people behind us.

Globus + Vincent = best shopping experience ever

Real Belgian waffles made by Vincent's mom. 

Celebrating Chelsea's win aka celebrating no homework because Dr. Clark's team won.

Our beloved Cafe' 87

Beautiful Olomouc

Ever been in a Czech cemetery? It is so cool!

Vincent trying on his floaties. He has a pool to go with them.

The path we walked to our classes everyday.

Our history building.

This coffee machine saved so many of us on so many occasions.

Last minute "studying" before the final.

Dr. Clark decided to give my test a special label.

An important tram stop.

Caesar's is the first and last place we ate in Olomouc. It was so strange comparing our thoughts and emotions of those two meals.

The last night at Belmondo.

Pop-Eye.
In order to build up our immune systems, Tara and I would frequently lick the rails.  I don't want to know how many germs we picked up from all the public transportation. Hand sanitizer quickly became my best friend.


Packing up three months of our lives was not an easy task.
I collected elephants from every country I visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment